Exception with current version of dmd(2.066.1) and VisualD (v0.3.40)

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 8 09:51:03 PST 2015

On 05.02.2015 21:49, Vincent R wrote:
> Final remark why the compilation is done through a bat script instead of
> declaring a MSBuild VCToolTask ? I suppose that developping a VCToolTask
> is a bit more complicated but provides more control over the compiler.

The beginning of Visual D predates VS 2010, the first version that added
msbuild support for C++. Visual D rather mimicked how it was done before.

Adding build support through an msbuild DLL is probably possible, but I
don't think it's easy to do in anything than C#. Maybe I'd be more
relaxed about not using D for it now. ;-)

I don't think that msbuild gives you more control than a batch, it's
just another API you have to follow and probably adds restrictions.
My experience with the msbuild integration of the Intel Compiler has
been very bad (it got better with the very latest version from Intel),
and I guess that's a sign that proper support isn't easy.