Visual D: is it possible to highlight function name and function call?

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 00:21:14 PDT 2015

On 24.07.2015 08:55, timepp wrote:
> I have checked the visual D code, seems the highlighter only do a very
> simple lexer parse. is it possible to do the semantic check for
> highlighter (as the tooltip did)?

You're right, the highlighting just uses lexer information. That's why
identifiers all have the same color (except when explicitely changed,
see http://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/Editor.html).

Visual D uses Alex Bothes semantic engine which is pretty good, but I
suspect it still produces too many false errors when actually using it
to show semantic errors (just because D code can be pretty complex to
analyze).

Just applying it to highlighting might be an intermediate step, as false
categorization might not be too annoying.

What kind of identifiers are you thinking of highlighting differently?

- types
- templates
- global/tls/local variables
- class/struct/union members
- free functions/member functions/properties

There are so many possible different kinds plus combinations of these...