Where is Visual-D C# code?

Ramon via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 30 16:19:58 PDT 2015

I use Visual-D for Visual Studio daily for writing D programs.
Also I am very experienced in writing Visual Studio extensions, I
wrote this commercial one: http://misoftware.rs/OmniCode.

Now, looking at Visual-D source code, 85% is D code. Well, at
first it seems OK to write a D extension for D in D, but I
wonder, how do you manage to use all .NET APIs from D?

Because for implementing every aspect of a language extension in
Visual Studio (Intellisense, outlining, QuickInfo, signature
help, snippets), in my experience, you really need to work with
the .NET assemblys of the Visual Studio Extensibility SDK. I
guess you are doing it in a old COM way, which I think is still
supported by VS. But I think that is far from being productive.
Also I doubt you can support every new aspect of VS editor
experience, because since VS 2010 I think, the editor is based on
WPF, so it is .NET in all its glory.

I am just worried if Visual-D is taking the right approach for
implementing stuff. I could definitely help in the C# area.