VD Debugging static variables and such symbols missing

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 16 14:26:34 PDT 2015

On 16.09.2015 03:18, Prudence wrote:
> Can't add watches to basic stuff. VS shows them missing:
>
> public class X
> {
>      public static int[] Y;
> }
>
> Can't add a watch to X or Y even though, at the very least, should
> should be able to get Y.
>
> I should expect a watch on a class to show it's static members.
>
> My guess is that this is just oversight. It makes it very difficult to
> debug in some cases.

When using the native VS debugger, we are bound to what is possible by
simulating C/C++. The mangling is so different that the VS debugger
cannot find the respective symbols.

When speaking of mago, the static members are listed as members of an
instance, but cannot be watched in an expression as X.Y (I guess that's
an oversight).

I've never seen watching the static members of a class by just entering
the type in C++. Is this how it works in C#?