I'm looking for comments on assembling a toolchain using a D IDE

Basile B. via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 13 10:51:30 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 at 20:23:34 UTC, Guido wrote:
> Coedit with metad,

metad is not really useful anymore. It was created at a time
where CE didn't handle DUB projects (2014). I still maintain it
for my own usage, that's the only reason. It's also been usefull
3 or 4 times to detect DMD regressions and more recently to test
a new feature (project groups, batch compilation):

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/16154339/17611474/e71e9796-6047-11e6-9747-d6380d289a07.png

Anyway, the CE toolchain is quite simple:

- compiler: either DMD/LDC/GDC, called via DUB or via a custom
format.
- completion: DCD (no srprise here, like 90 % of the D editors).
- code explorer: custom program based on libdparse.
- git integration: possible with the custom tools, e.g on my
setup i can open git gui on the active project with a single
click | shortcut
- no support for debuging, though with the custom tools it's
possible to launch a GDB front-end with the right option (e.g
`<CPO>` => output filename). More generally the custom tools are
not a trival feature. Real things are possible, it's not
decoration.

usually everything works out-of-the-box, assuming at least DMD is
already setup.
only Dscanner must be setup manually, but it's not a central
component, it's just used to perform the static checks, without
visual feedback in the editor (i.e read wave under the problem)
but rather a dump of the output stream in the messages.

As for a professional usage of CE i didn't detect any clue
indicating this (e.g inside bug reports or after annoucment,
nobody never tolds "**we** would need this or that").