Visual D Building problems

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 21 13:45:02 PDT 2016

On 20.07.2016 01:15, Rufus Smith wrote:
> May I suggest you create a Virtual Machine and attempt to compile Visual
> D from scratch using latest technologies. I believe it will not work
> well. It is hard to support the software when it doesn't work well. I
> find a lot of hard coded paths in Visual D's batch files. I would like
> to help support but impossible if I can't get it to build.
>
> The error messages are convoluted and not helpful either. It might
> benefit you to do this as it will help bring in others. Also keeping up
> with latest technologies is good.

It's sometimes quite some work to keep everything working with latest
updates of its dependencies. I currently still use VS2013 to build
Visual D and mago, but can compile with all VS and Windows SDKs that I
could get hold of.

I was thinking of setting up an AppVeyor job to verify and showcase the
build of Visual D, but didn't get to it yet. Not sure if it's possible
to install all requirements, but seems like it could help contributions...