Best IDE

SC via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 05:31:57 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 4 June 2016 at 21:46:18 UTC, AbstractGuy wrote:
> On Friday, 3 June 2016 at 18:29:37 UTC, SC wrote:
>> There are none
>>
>> Every plugin/IDE for D are in pre-alpha state
>
> No, they're not. Maybe you're misleaded by the fact that most
> of them use semantic versioning.
>
>> I'm not talking about Code Editor, i'm talking about I.D.E,
>> big difference imo
>
> All of them have completion and such IDE-grade features.
>
>> And that's why i stopped to use D for now,
>
> "A bad worker quarrels with his tools",
> "A bad workman always blames his tools",
> etc.
>
> I think that you might invent an excuse here...but I won't
> develop further because it could be interpreted as a personnal
> attack. :)
>
>> this is a major issue, if you want D to be popular hen
>> community have to focus on one IDE project instead of soloing
>> in 9754 different projects that gets abandoned after a while
>
> There are not so much specialized tools: DUB, DCD, Dscanner,
> Dfmt, Digger and they are not only solo projects. There are
> more GUIs and they are more sparse so here you're a bit right
> but all of them use the same tools ;)
>
>> I wish there was a decent plugin for IntelliJ.. that's my main
>> IDE, it's just perfect
>
> Lol, start your solo project then or get involved in the one
> that exists now.

> My own experience is that I can use a particular D IDE during
> many hours (for me it's coedit) and I forget about the IDE
> existence itself, which is a good thing.
>
> Sometimes however there's small problems and I have to restart
> a session but I've experienced the same with others, more
> mature, OSS or commercial, older than 15 years, IDEs.

That's about being productive, having great toolset to help me
develop things with confidence, fast, and without having to worry
about external stuff, typo, or missing using statements

If you want stay a niche product, then don't need to worry about
mass adoption

If you want to attract new developers, then work on essential
tools for setting up a productive workflow without frustration
for people who just want to learn

That's how mainstream industry work, they do everything to charm
new users, once charmed, they'll stay, new user don't care about
behind the scene stuff, they just look at what is offered

I'm a "newbie" in programming in general, i first learnt java,
then C#, i wanted to go native with C++ but i found it too
difficult, despite having great IDEs, i decided to learn
something else, i found D, beautiful language, but it really
needs a major IDE, (Visual Studio for C#, Eclipse for Java,
CodeBlocks for C++, HaxeDevelop for Haxe, XCode for Swift, etc..)

This is just my opinion, i might be wrong, too young (18yo) but
that's how i think it should be