Visual D Debugger "complaints" (Mago?)

Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 17:20:25 PDT 2016

It is pretty hard to visual D's debugger because it is not very
helpful.

1. It generally shows memory addresses for objects. Doesn't do me
much good. Would be nice to first try a toString() or display the
type name.

2. Objects are not shown as they are but their base class types.
This tends to leave a lot of info out of the display.

3. Cannot do a refactored type of renaming. Have to use
search/replace which isn't great.

4. Cannot execute commands in the debugger watch such as
cast(toChild)x; (see 2)

5. Enums are not shown by name. Do I really have to memorize all
the values?

6. A lot of junk information that takes up space. e.g., strings
show "length=0x00000084". would be better to minimize to 84 and
show by name: e.g., "This is 84 chars long?"(84)

7. Line stepping can be weird because sometimes the current line
will jump to random places then jump back when stepping again.
This is probably a bug.

I assume this is due to the mago debugger rather than Visual D
but not sure(except the renaming ability).