Visual D Debugger "complaints" (Mago?)

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 03:04:36 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 05:51:54 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> [...]

>> 4. Cannot execute commands in the debugger watch such as
>> cast(toChild)x;
> (see 2)
>
> You have to name the type with fully qualified type (e.g.
> "pgk.module.Child") for the cast operation as the debugger has
> no symbol lookup information.

For very long time I actually thought that this wasn't possible
with VisualD, until I discovered that I could use the FQ name by
accident. I think it would be very helpful if the error message
said "try using the fully qualified name e.g.
package.module.Type", instead of just "symbol not found".

For me the biggest problem is that its not clearly visible what
operations are supported by the debugger and I need to figure
this out by trial and error.

Is possible to include some short documentation that is displayed
e.g. when the user clicks a "?" button next to the
minimize/restore/close buttons on the QuickWatch window?
Just a short string listing what is currently supported would be
a huge improvement in terms of discoverability.

BTW, thank for your work on VisualD and improvements to dmd's
debug info! It's much appreciated!