Visual D Debugger "complaints" (Mago?)

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 01:18:59 PDT 2016

On 17.06.2016 04:05, Joerg Joergonson wrote:
> I'm sure it would be quite easy to add code based debugging helpers(sort
> of like visualizers) to do using D source. To prevent "security" issues
> a warning system could be added easily:
>
> class XXX
> {
>    string Name;
>    version(Debugger_Visualizer)
>    {
>        string toString() { return x.Name~" is trying to Hack you!?"; }
>    }
>
> or one could include all that in a separate source like
>
> module Debugger_Visualizers
>
> string to!(XXX)(XXX x) { return x.Name~" Hacked?!!"; }
> }
>

> Then just keep track of all these cases and make the user sign off
> on(hash the code and use an AA to see if the user has previously allowed
> it).
>
> Other debuggers could eventually take advantage of it too and more
> complex debugging visualizations could be implemented than just
> toStrings (e.g., something similar to std.conv.to).

Visualizer code in the binary sounds like an interesting idea. Given
some convention on naming so that symbols are discoverable and rather
safe to call, that could be doable.

Mago does not yet support calling code in the debugged process, so that
would be a first step to implement such kind of visualizers.