I'm looking for comments on assembling a toolchain using a D IDE

Jussi Jumppanen via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 06:53:25 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 28 May 2016 at 20:23:34 UTC, Guido wrote:
> I'm planning to ditch C++ and come to D. The problem is that I
> love IDEs for the types of big projects I do, and the C++ IDEs
> I've used are reasonably good.
>
> The D IDEs that stand out based on their descriptions are
> Dlang, Coedit with metad, Zeus, Code::blocks, and QtCreator
> with D extensions.
>
> Visual Studio with D add-ins also seems to be popular, but I'm
> super down on Visual Studio at the moment because their
> compiler options are error-prone and it's still Microsoft, so
> I'd like to explore something else. I've also given up on
> getting things done with Eclipse. It looks nice, but the times
> I've tried it, I had to ditch it for Netbeans or Visual Studio.
>
> There aren't any real reviews on how these things perform for
> big projects in a professional environment. I'm planning on
> starting my search with QtCreator. However, there are many
> tools that go into debugging, profiling analysis, git
> integration, etc. that seem to require a lot of configuration,
> and things that just don't play well together. Since there are
> many options, it would be great if people could post their
> recommendations after having tried some of these tools. It
> would save me a lot of time to clone a few setups rather than
> discover the pieces that work well together on my own.
>
> I'm looking for things like testimony that your setup worked
> well on a big project, and links to sites where I should
> install stuff, and some idea what value each component brings
> to setup, even if it's not that extensively used. I really
> can't find this sort of detail anywhere, which is why I'm
> asking here.
>
> In particular, Zeus looks interesting, but from the Zeus
> website, it also looks like a maze of add-on scripts, with no
> guarantee that they work that well. Is anyone using this?

> In particular, Zeus looks interesting, but from the Zeus
> website, it also looks like a maze of add-on scripts, with no
> guarantee that they work that well. Is anyone using this?

As the author of the Zeus IDE I can say the Zeus support for D is
probably a little outdated :(

Some time back, effort was made to see if Zeus could supported
tools like DCD, DScanner etc and I suspect the scripts you are
referring to relate to those tools.

But as you have suggested, those scripts are now showing their
age, just for the fact that Zeus has moved on, no doubt D has
moved on and more importantly tools like DCD have moved on.

As such I suspect those Zeus scripts are out of date and showing
their age.