I'm looking for comments on assembling a toolchain using a D IDE

Guido via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat May 28 13:23:34 PDT 2016

I'm planning to ditch C++ and come to D. The problem is that I
love IDEs for the types of big projects I do, and the C++ IDEs
I've used are reasonably good.

The D IDEs that stand out based on their descriptions are Dlang,
Coedit with metad, Zeus, Code::blocks, and QtCreator with D
extensions.

Visual Studio with D add-ins also seems to be popular, but I'm
super down on Visual Studio at the moment because their compiler
options are error-prone and it's still Microsoft, so I'd like to
explore something else. I've also given up on getting things done
with Eclipse. It looks nice, but the times I've tried it, I had
to ditch it for Netbeans or Visual Studio.

There aren't any real reviews on how these things perform for big
projects in a professional environment. I'm planning on starting
my search with QtCreator. However, there are many tools that go
into debugging, profiling analysis, git integration, etc. that
seem to require a lot of configuration, and things that just
don't play well together. Since there are many options, it would
be great if people could post their recommendations after having
tried some of these tools. It would save me a lot of time to
clone a few setups rather than discover the pieces that work well
together on my own.

I'm looking for things like testimony that your setup worked well
on a big project, and links to sites where I should install
stuff, and some idea what value each component brings to setup,
even if it's not that extensively used. I really can't find this
sort of detail anywhere, which is why I'm asking here.

In particular, Zeus looks interesting, but from the Zeus website,
it also looks like a maze of add-on scripts, with no guarantee
that they work that well. Is anyone using this?