VisualD.dll flagged during VisualD 0.45.0 installation as Trojan by McAfee

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 4 00:38:28 PDT 2017

On 03.08.2017 19:58, jj wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 August 2017 at 16:58:33 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>

>> On 03.08.2017 14:00, ShadoLight wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> It seems this is getting worse for dmd built executables.
>>
>> VirusTotal also shows the McAfee failures, and 3 other engines
>> complain, too. If I build Visual D against the MS-Runtime instead of
>> the DigitalMars-Runtime, no virus is detected.
>>
>> Unfortunately the DLL grows from 3 MB to 9 MB, which seems to uncover
>> a bug somewheree in the tool chain. That might not be a show stopper,
>> though, and I wanted to switch to the COFF builds eventually anyway.
>>
>> The autotester has also created the same version, maybe it passes
>> McAfee as is:
>> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/rainers/visuald/build/job/2g40k1pgyxg58avv/artifacts
>>
>> It isn't built with the precise GC, though, so it might eat a bit more
>> memory if you edit large files.
>

> it still does not work with my VS 2017. after install it does not show
> up in the menu, it does not know d. sorry for the bad news.

Sorry to hear that but I didn't really expect any magic solution just
from bumping the version number.

 From your last posted error message, I suspect that the 3 files written
by the installer at "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Rainer
Schuetze\VisualD\0.45" exist? Maybe there are older files in parallel
folders? If yes, try deleting these.

VS2017 transfers settings from these extension files into a "private
registry"
%AppData%\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_ade21380\privateregistry.bin,
maybe you can make that file available for download somewhere so I can
check whether entries in there look ok.

Are you using the english version of VS or some other language? Maybe
there is something wrong in how Visual D handles this, but I have seen
it working with german versions (though not with VS2017 yet).