VisualD's Intellisense not workign with gtk

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 6 12:27:26 PDT 2017

On 06.08.2017 18:31, Johnson Jones wrote:
> (this is a bit long of a post so take your time(when you have time, I'm
> in no rush) and get some coffee ;)
>

> What about locals not seeming to show up? Not sure if my question got
> answered or not?

I think there is some misunderstanding about the interaction between the
debugger, the semantic engine and the compiler generated JSON information.

The short version: there is no interaction at all.

The slightly longer version:

- the debugger is a component completely different from the editor. It
operates on the debug info built into the executable. This represents
the information from the last successful build, but this is hardly
accessible to the editor. It can get obsolete and wrong if you start
editing.

- the JSON information is similar to the debug information in that it
represents the information from the last successful build, but more
accessible to the editor. It gets obsolete and wrong if you start
editing, too. In addition it doesn't include any information about local
variables, so that you have to analyze the code with other means to make
sense of any identifier.

- that's the job of the semantic analyzer engine. It updates whenever
you change any of the source code. It figures out what type an
identifier is by following the appropriate lookup rules, and it can also
list its members. So matching it to information also available elsewhere
does not really help, because that's not the difficult part.

> ------------------------------Part 2----------------------------
> I just tried downloading the source code and get >
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Enterprise\\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat"
>
> when building build.

I suspect Visual D doesn't build out of the box with VS2017. I still use
VS2013 to avoid dependencies in the resulting binaries on newer versions.

See the appveyor.xml how to obtain external dependencies and how to
override environment settings.

You might also want it to check the logs on Appveyor that builds with
VS2013 and VS2015:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/rainers/visuald/build/1.0.138