Why lack of good IDE doesn't peek your attention

SamwiseFilmore via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 17 16:49:54 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 04:27:28 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>
>> Just would like to ask where people write code?
>
> With Java, I can't get by without an IDE anymore, but with D I
> just don't need one. I feel they actually get in my way.
> Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code do just fine.

Amen.

I feel like IDE's like IntelliJ or Visual Studio allow the
programmer to write programs TOO conveniently, besides them being
quite overblown. In a lot of cases, you can autocomplete your way
through the API, and end up with a large piece of source code
that you don't understand, because you didn't write it. Your IDE
did. I use atom with syntax highlighting and a terminal. Dub has
a very nice and concise CLI that makes it really convenient to
use, and it does everything I need and then some for a build
system. Work is going on to get better autocomplete and inline
error checking for atom, but even that makes me a tiny bit
nervous about code quality. In general, I don't believe in using
these huge tools because they turn an engineer into an end-user.

There is a really good lecture that was given at DConf 2017 by
Scott Meyers. I recommend you listen to the whole thing, but he
has a section on tooling, which begins at 25:15 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT46MpK39rQ
That addresses concerns about C++ mainly, but also shines some
light on places where D excels and where it doesn't.