Building fails using VisualD; works under dub

ShadoLight ettienne.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:38:27 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 at 10:27:28 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a long absence I am returning to D.
>
> So I see we now have dub as package manager. Nice!
>
> So I create a new package (dub init sample1) and pull in a
> dependency (dlangui).   Then modify the source to use the
> dlangui lib. Dlangui pulls in some Derelict and X11
> dependencies, but all works as expected. Nice!
>
> Then I generate a VisualD solution (dub generate visuald), and
> try to open + build the same project from VS. The solution
> opens fine and editing works fine, but fails to build with:
>
> Building f:\MyProjects\D2\VC2010\Dub\sample1\sample1.exe...
> cannot monitor 64-bit executable dmd, no suitable tracker.exe
> found
> Building f:\MyProjects\D2\VC2010\Dub\sample1\sample1.exe failed!
> Details saved as
> "file://F:\MyProjects\D2\VC2010\Dub\sample1\.dub\obj\
>
> This just shows the error for the exe, but all the
> Derelict/Dlangui libs also fail to build with an identical
> error:
>
> Building lib\dlangui.lib...
> cannot monitor 64-bit executable dmd, no suitable tracker.exe
> found
> Building lib\dlangui.lib failed!
>
> The "cannot monitor 64-bit executable dmd" is a bit
> confusing... as far as I can see DMD is in fact a 32 bit exe.
> And I have no idea which "tracker.exe" it is looking for.
>
> I am running on:
> Win 7 x64 bit
> DMD v2.077.1
> Visual Studio 2010 (x32 bit)
> VisualD 0.46.0
>
> I'm a bit stumped at this point.. any help will be greatly
> appreciated!

I forgot to mention: If I use Visual Studio to create a
completely new project (File|New|Project|Other
languages|D|Console Application) and simply try to build the
skeleton project created by VisualD, I get exactly the same error.

So it does not seem related to the VisualD solution created by
dub.

It looks like some kind of x32/x64 bit issue on VS.... but it is
strange since DMD, VS and VisualD as well as the generated
project are all 32 bit.