[SOLVED] Building fails using VisualD; works under dub

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Fri Dec 15 19:40:25 UTC 2017

On 13.12.2017 15:41, ShadoLight wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 at 10:38:27 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 at 10:27:28 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
> [snip]
>
>>> cannot monitor 64-bit executable dmd, no suitable tracker.exe

That's a wrong message that stems from the time when there was a
different mechanism to monitor 32-bit processes. I've fixed that for the
next version.

> [snip]
>

> OK, so I found this on the forum [1], where Rainer indicated that
> tracker.exe is part of MS-Build.
>
> Searching on my drive I found tracker.exe is actually part of the
> Windows SDK (in both x32 and x64 flavours), so I guess what Rainer is
> referring to as "MS-Build" is actually the (command-line) build system
> of the SDK.

It seems it is some variant/predecessor of MsBuild, as there is also an
MsBuildHostTask.exe in that folder.

> But its location was not specified in my PATH environment variable.
>
> Updating my PATH with its location [2] cured the problem.
>
> [1] http://forum.dlang.org/post/oqa9in$2scu$1@digitalmars.com
> [2] c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0
> Tools\

tracker.exe is tried to be found in a number of locations, but obviously
I missed this one. Keeping all ancient versions of VS and the Windows
SDK working is not so easy...

> So all is good again!

Good to hear that ;-)