Intellisense madness

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 1 23:19:31 PST 2017

On 02.02.2017 01:45, Profile Anaysis wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 at 22:03:34 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Thanks
>

>>> I might try to implement some features at some point. I think I would
>>> like to get mago working better first though because I feel D's
>>> debugging is very poor at this point(sort of bare minimum). I just need
>>> to get it to compile ;)
>>>

>> If you want to hack on mago: You don't need to compile Visual D for
>> it, it is a different (C++) project: https://github.com/rainers/mago.
>>
>> I suggest you should focus on the Concord debugger extension
>> MagoNatCC. It's installation for debugging is very simple: just copy
>> the resulting DLL into <VSInstallPath>\Common7\Packages\Debugger.
>

> I tried building Mago and it seems it requires an earlier VS than 2015
> as some of the libs report being out of date(MSVC ver 1900 vs 1800 or
> something)

The release is built with VS2013, but Appveyor builds with both VS2013
and VS2015 (see
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/rainers/visuald/build/1.0.103/job/t0u55ue4vk0u4e39#L799).
Some tests require a special library, but I never cared to adopt this
(this is another project I "inherited" from its original author, mago
originates from http://dsource.org/projects/mago_debugger and is mostly
Aldo Nunez' work).

> Does the concord debugger extension require mago to build or is it a
> standalone project? Basically I'd like to be able to investigate the
> issues with some symbols not showing and possible ways to improve the
> debugging experience. I feel like I'll have to install a separate older
> version of VS to get it to compile though.

the debugger extension is project MagoNatCC in the Expression folder of
the MagoDbg_2010 solution. It must be compiled with solution
configuration "Debug/Release Static DE". It uses parts of mago
necesssary for expression evaluation (including reading debug info from
the PDB through the DIA API).