Picture showing broken VisualD

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 25 23:54:45 PST 2017

On 26.01.2017 08:14, Profile Anaysis wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 07:10:53 UTC, Profile Anaysis wrote:
>> Here is a picture showing that VisualD is broken. It's been like this
>> for awhile. Of course, this is just one picture out of many possible
>> ones.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/kvz3x9s93/
>>
>> Seems like something may have changed in the name mangling. I'm going
>> to update dmd. This does not occur with ldc.
>
> Upgrading did not help. Probably a configuration issue on my side unless
> the same thing is happening for others(I did install latest beta Visual
> D the other day, that could have been the start).

This is what happens often when using the Visual Studio Debugger with
type names that contain '.'. It seems to confuse it a lot. That's why
compilation with -gc replaces '.' with '@' in the debug information. You
can enable it in Visual D by selecting debug information "suitable for
VS debug engine".

I'd recommend trying the new debugger integration with the new beta
(released on Tuesday) with a recent dmd (2.072 or later). This uses mago
only for expression evaluation for locations that are actually compiled
from D sources (visible by showing 'D' in the call stack).

You'll have to configure debug information "suitable for mago", but
still launch the Visual Studio debugger (by the setting on the
"Debugging" page).

BTW: what VS version are you using?