Visual D needs to support VS better

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 26 00:24:37 PST 2017

On 23.01.2017 23:23, Profile Anaysis wrote:
> All the great features we know and love in C/C++/C# don't work well in
> VisualD. Things like

> peak definition,

I never use it myself when working in C++, but I agree, it would be nice
to have. At first glance there seems to be little support to implement
it easily, though. The Code Definition window works, though.

> find all references,

The current implementation is very experimental. Never had the time to
improve it though. Refactoring tools are pretty nasty because D is not a
simple language...

> debugging
> issues: variables not showing up, becoming corrupt requiring a clean of
> the solution, variables with different scopes but same name getting
> corrupt, the inability to watch variables properly due to scope issues,
> breakpoints not always functioning as expected, etc.
[...]
> The debugging experience is almost painful because it is somewhat alien
> and does not function as VC++'s debugging experience does. Because it is
> so close, of course, it creates more of a mess than it helps in many cases.

The debugging experience very much relies on the debug info emitted by
the compiler. Unfortunately this is a rather neglected part of the
compiler as the main developers prefer printf debugging.

[...]
> Any idea if you will ever get around to implementing these features and
> fixing some of the issues? (Seems like VD hasn't been updated in a while)

There should be some improvements with the recent beta and the latest
dmd release. If you have reproducible issues, please file them here:
https://issues.dlang.org/