Intellisense madness

Profile Anaysis via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 27 03:08:48 PST 2017

On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 08:28:41 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 13.01.2017 21:36, Ignacious wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been brought up before... but having
>> intellisense list
>> all available accessors in a flat sorted list is madness! It
>> prevents
>> one from quickly seeing what kind of accessors a type has if
>> they are
>> not familiar with the type.
>>
>> Surely it would not be difficult to list the direct accessors
>> of a type
>> at the top of the list? Or, at the very list, list any generic
>> accessors
>> in their own group.
>>
>> If the coding is too difficult a simple resolution is this:
>>
>> Take the generic accessors that work on any type and put them
>> at the
>> bottom of the list(or color them red or something). This can
>> be done
>> easily by just getting the intellisense results off an empty
>> type such
>> as Object behind the scenes once and then matching them
>> against the type
>> being accessed at hand. Since D has many built in generic
>> accessors, it
>> bloats the list with junk that I don't need to see most of the
>> time.
>>
>> In Visual D, intellisense is nearly useless for me. It
>> obfuscates rather
>> than helps.
>>
>> Thanks for investigating this! ;)
>>

> It never actually bothered me, but I agree a better sorting
> might be preferable. There is little access to the layout of
> the completion box, but the order and the text color can be
> changed. I'll look into this...

Then could you not add some options to make it easier to read?
Intelligent is about useless to be because it has so much stuff
in it that I can never find my functions(and page up/down do not
work so scrolling through them is too time consuming).

Some options.

1. Do not populate box with globals and templates. Just show
direct fields, members, and this.

2. The names have to be ordered in some way. Finding symbols that
are ordered last could be used. e.g., zzz_name. Not great but
better than nothing. Could be user configurable.

Alternatively maybe some hacks could be implemented(again,
optionally). One could get the intellisense popup and force a
reorder or take over the drawing of it to add a custom list(might
be better as one could style it and add more information. Of
course, being a hack is not good but it would be better than
nothing.

Use a custom intellisense similar to the above hack but just
intercept the keys and monitor for `.`'s(out side of strings and
comments).