Intellisense madness

Profile Anaysis via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 27 19:08:30 PST 2017

On Friday, 27 January 2017 at 22:50:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 27.01.2017 12:08, Profile Anaysis wrote:
>> 1. Do not populate box with globals and templates. Just show
>> direct
>> fields, members, and this.
>
> You can already select this by disabling "UFCS expansions" on
> the options page.

Thanks, that helps a little. Still get about half of stuff I
don't care about(ptr, init, _ctor, etc. These things are somewhat
universal so not really needed in the list).

> > 2. The names have to be ordered in some way. Finding symbols
> that are
> > ordered last could be used. e.g., zzz_name. Not great but
> better than
> > nothing. Could be user configurable.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "ordered last". Least recently used?

Well, if the names are alphabetically listed, which it looks as
if it is, then by using the characters(like z, or _, or ___, or
whatever) to prepend the names will put them at the end of the
list. This will move the "junk"(whatever you decide that to be,
such as ufcs's) to the end of the list.

e.g., you could list fields first, then methods:

0_[fieldname1]
0_[fieldname2]
0_[fieldname3]
0_[fieldnameN]
1_[methodname1]
1_[methodname2]
1_[methodname3]
1_[methodnameN]
2_[commonType1]   // e.g., ptr, _ctor, etc..
2_[commonTypeN]
3_[UFCS1]
3_[UFCSN]

so, the sorting algorithm in VS can be customized. Obviously it's
a nasty syntax but it could be an option for some of us if there
is no better way.

If one can use special characters that are sorted correctly but
don't show up visually or are more meaningful, then it would be
better.

If I had the ability to build VD I would probably add the options
to specify the character codes for the different types of entries
in intellisense and if they are enabled.

e.g.,

0x1E - Field names
0x1F - Method names
0x23 - Method names(internal)(ptr, _ctor, etc)
0x2F - UFCS
0x3A = Other

I'm not sure what 0x1E would show in the intellisense but for
internal method names and UFCS, we would get

#ptr
#_ctor
..
/reverse
/strip

etc

in the list. Again, all we are trying to do is control the order
and what is shown in the list.

This way I can see the most pertinent things in the top of the
list, which is what is first shown and the other stuff at the
bottom.