Build every time and cannot debug VD2017

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 26 08:42:33 PDT 2017

On 26.03.2017 08:38, StarGrazer wrote:
> I just upgraded to visual studio 2017 and reinstalled latest Visual D.
> When I hit start, the project is built every time rather than building
> only when changed. This did not happen before as it would only build
> with a source change. Any ideas?
>
> The build issue is that
> test.exe not up to date: link dependency file Win32\Debug
> DMD\test.lnkdep does not exist
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/m2jb43$bbj$1@digitalmars.com

VS2017 support is still work in progress. I suspect something changed
for the tracker tool supplied by VS.

If you don't need perfect dependency tracking you can disable "monitor
linker dependencies" in the global options.

> Also, The debugger is not working. It simply runs without ever hitting a
> breakpoint. Worked fine in VS2015. This only happens with x64 build. x86
> does hit the BP. I've tried the three debugger versions.
>

> These issues seem to be related solely to visual studio 2017 as I was
> using 2015 before with latest Visual D and did not have these problems.
> Nothing really changed except installing 2017. I guess it might be a
> compatibility problem but only real issues I have experiences is what I
> have described above(but these were out of the box issues, I have not
> used it much to notice any others).

Are you using the VS debugger or mago? The latter should not change
between VS versions.