Building DlangIde

Petar Petar
Thu Sep 28 14:14:52 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 28 September 2017 at 09:13:30 UTC, Dmitry wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 September 2017 at 11:14:46 UTC, Petar Kirov
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> The 'x86' arch causes dmd to use its Optlink linker, which for
>> some
>> reason has a problem with DlangIDE.
>
> With previous versions of DlangIDE it was work fine. With
> current version I got "Unexepted OPTLINK Termination" (
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq1raqh8huiko5j/error.png?dl=0 ).
> If the problem is in Optlink then why dub uses it by default?
> Why not x86_64 for example?
>
> (and yep, dub run --compiler=dmd --arch=x86_64 solved this)

Both object file formats, OMF (dmd -m32) - used by Optlink and
COFF (dmd -m32mscoff and dmd -m64) - used by Visual Studio C++,
and their respective linkers have different pros and cons.  So
you have the option to choose between either of them with DMD.
Since COFF support was added after OMF historically it was the
more unstable of the two, AFAIK. It just happens that for this
particular case it is the better option, or at least will be
until this bug is fixed. Also, since Optlink is bundled with the
DMD installation, and VS is a separate large download, Dub users
are more likely to only have Optlink, which is why its the
default one.