Visual D support for VS 2008 and 32-bit Windows

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Thu Sep 28 20:11:51 UTC 2017

On 25.09.2017 22:29, AB wrote:
> On Monday, 25 September 2017 at 17:55:08 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>> The error message is wrong in this case, the actual problem is
>> probably that VS2008 doesn't come with MS-Build (which includes
>> tracker.exe), or it isn't found.
>>
>> You could either try installing MSBuild or go back to Visual D 0.44.2.
>> That version has an alternative mechanism for dependency tracking
>> (which might cause some unnecessary builds due to changes in dmd 2.076).
>
> For simplicity, I will downgrade to Visual D 0.44.2.
>
> That said, which version of MSBuild would be appropriate in my case?
> Version 2015 (14) has requirements above Windows XP.

MSBuild 12.0 should be fine. I have found an old version of it on a
backup that should run on XP, but my current installation seems to
require Win7.

> Back to Visual D, do you intend to fix these compatibility issues in
> future releases? Or will you drop support for legacy OS/IDE?

If it is actually only the OS version that needs to be specified on the
linker command line, I plan to fix that. I'm not aware of other problems
but can't guarantee it will continue to work.