Editor and IDE developers, add special identifiers for D single modules.

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Mon Apr 23 14:07:06 UTC 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 at 08:16:45 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Wed, 28 Mar 2018 09:08:07 +0000
> schrieb Basile B. <b2.temp at gmx.com>:
>
>> Almost since its birth, the D IDE Coedit has a feature allowing
>> to run or test a single module. In this case, the IDE passed
>> automatically the version identifer
>> `runnable_module`. Since today i use new identifiers and i
>> suggest you to use them too, to provide a more consistent D
>> environment, in case the editor you develop propose a similar
>> feature of course (I don't know the other IDEs/editors FYI).
>>

>> `single_module`
>> ===============
>>
>> Should be set when a single module is compiled and executed.
>> (add -version=single_module to the command line)
>>

>> `run_single_module`
>> ===================
>>
>> Should be set when a single module is compiled and executed but
>> not if -unittest
>> is also set. (add -version=run_single_module to the command
>> line)
>>
>> `test_single_module`
>> ====================
>>
>> Should be set when a single module is compiled and executed
>> and if -unittest is also set. (add -version=test_single_module
>> to the command line)
>>

>> So that finally there will always be 2 identifiers set.
>> I'll also propose to the DUB developers to add this when a DUB
>> script is executed.
>
> I think this needs a better communication channel. Somewhere
> where e.g. all build tool devs or all Linux devs look and
> discuss the small things which are then pinned or wikified.
> Here I fear call outs like this one often go unnoticed.
>
> Maybe a Trello group of all build tool devs + the Wiki
> would work better? This is the one for Dlang:
> https://trello.com/dlang
> But that focuses on the language, not so much the eco system
> and I'm worried that it would become like the news group if
> everyone's affairs were discussed there.
> Similarly for Linux there is always good questions about how
> to work around issues with ld.gold or how to name directories
> so the user experience is similar on as many OSs as possible
> without messing with the idiosyncrasies of any.
> There /is/ a lot of overlap though when you discuss how a
> build tool would integrate with the package manager for
> example.

Yeah i've seen the other message in d.general and hesitated
answering "i don't know" (if this is a good idea). I'm myself
very rarely in contact with other IDE developers and about
compilers never, i just adapt my IDE to how things are. Better
experiences so far has been actually with DUB developers who
added 2 or three times things useful for me, which was nice.

That being said i'll follow, if this board comes to birth.