VSCode + code-d tip for Windows

JN 666total at wp.pl
Wed Aug 1 14:24:50 UTC 2018

Just a tip for anyone struggling with code-d on Windows - try the
VSCode Portable mode -
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/portable . I had a lot
of issues with code-d installation (dcd etc. didn't want to
install properly), with portable version everything installed out
of the box. At first I thought it's just the plugin that is
broken, because I had no code completion or anything. Now it
works. Not the best long-term solution because you have to update
it manually, but it's better than nothing when everything else
fails.

I even got the debugging working, with C++ debugger, but still,
it gives me all the info I need :)

p.s. D could use a "recommended starting tools" section on Wiki
or something. It's hard to find a recommendation for IDE and
plugins that will just work anywhere on the website. Editor/IDEs
list mention multiple obscure IDEs/tools with dead/obsolete
plugins. Good luck finding a guide on how to set up debugging D
on windows without using VisualD.