Visual D 0.48-beta1

Markus Pursche pursche01 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:25:49 UTC 2018

Hi Rainer, I wasn't sure exactly where to ask this, but I figured
this is was as good of a place as any.

The new C++/D Project template looks absolutely amazing, it has
never been this easy to get started with a C++ main function that
can call D, especially on Windows. I was wondering how exactly
this works in the background though, are you compiling to .obj
files with the different compilers (MSVC+DMD) and then passing it
to the linker, or are you creating a D static library and linking
it that way behind the scenes?

I looked at the .vcxproj file and it looks very similar to
"regular" .vcxproj files, could I edit my already existing C++
project (that uses a non-standard project template with a custom
compiler, not MSVC) and just add the D parts and convert a C++
project to C++/D that way?

This might just be the last step needed to get more game
developers to follow Remedy and start using D in their engines
(alongside C++ at first), assuming that it actually is that easy
to do with any kind of C++ project.

I'll stick around the #d IRC channel if you have any specific
questions about what it is I want to do, but I'm not sure how
much I should say here.