VisualD Projects

Samsinsane s.surtees at lorgames.com
Mon Jul 16 05:54:46 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 07:48:15 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 11/07/2018 11:10, Samsinsane wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm looking to evaluate D for work purposes but I've hit a
>> stumbling block. I'd really like to integrate D into our
>> existing code base using the mixed projects that VisualD
>> supports. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information
>> on how to consume D libraries, such as vibe.d. I've "imported"
>> vibe.d, and added the 15 import paths until it stopped
>> complaining about missing files, and now I'm just getting
>> missing symbol errors.
>>
>> This all feels much harder than it really should be, so I'm
>> guessing I've missed something. Can someone please point me in
>> the right direction?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sam
>
> As Mr.Bingo pointed out, it is probably best to copy the
> settings from the dub-generated visualdproj projects. Please
> especially check the versions defined in the separate projects.
>
> Linking should be no problem, as this is using the VC++ linking
> mechanism, i.e. you either specify library inputs on the
> Linker->Input page or add the library projects as "References".

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Regarding the
"References" system, when I click "Add Reference" I don't see any
of the 'visualdproj' projects - should I?

After a few hours of fiddling around I finally have it working.
There's a number of configuration issues with consuming vibe.d
with VisualD. Five of the projects just fail to build if the
compile and link stage is separate, and the format of the lib
file is incorrect by default (OMF instead of COFF). vibe.d
appears to have a prebuilt dependency (OpenSSL) and that it's in
OMF format too, but there's a configuration option for using the
COFF version instead. As for the issue with vibe.d not building,
DMD v2.081.0 had a regression that was fixed in v2.081.1 - I was
just unlucky enough to grab v2.081.0 the day before the fix was
released.