The D program to launch doesn't exist in Visual Studio 2017

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Thu Nov 22 06:58:11 UTC 2018

On 21/11/2018 19:34, Roboticist wrote:
> I'm just trying to set up a community version of the Visual Studio 2017
> on my x64 PC (Windows 10) to program in D based on dmd compiler. In
> particular, I can build my snippet, but running the code returns the
> following error:
>
> The program to lunch does not exist.
>
> Additionally, the output window of my Visual Studio returns this:
>
> Building Win32\Debug\Test.exe...
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.17
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2013  All rights reserved.
> http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
> OPTLINK : Error 8: Illegal Filename
> ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
>
> My file name is just "Test.d", so I have know idea what it means by
> illegal file name.
>
> Does anybody know anything about this issue?

As Daniel already mentioned, it's probably something in a full path that
optlink does not like. You can see the executed commands in
Win32\Debug\Test*.cmd. The exact name depends on the used compilation model.

You can switch to a more standard object file format and usage of the
Microsoft linker by enabling "MS-COFF" in the Project->Compiler->Output
options. Building for x64 always uses COFF and the MS linker.