Visual D issues and suggestions

John Chapman johnch_atms at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 21:15:36 UTC 2018

On Monday, 22 October 2018 at 17:50:04 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> * Indent function bodies correctly when generating overrides.
>
> I guess you mean indentation if "override" is on the line
> before the
> function declaration?

No - inside a class, if you type "override" then ctrl-space, it
shows a list of overridable functions. Choose one and it outputs
a function stub, but the generated body is the same indent level
as the declaration, e.g.:

   override protected void myFunction() {
   super.myFunction(); <- should be indented one level further
   }

>> * Indenting for enum members is sometimes too much.
>
> Can you provide an example?

Funny, I can't reproduce this problem any more.

> I haven't found a way to format tooltips better than just plain
> text. What you see is more or less how it is written in the
> source code.

It must be possible because the C# editor displays bold and
coloured text in tooltips. Not essential obviously, but would be
nice.

> What's wrong with the "General->Compilation" option?

Sorry, I meant in mixed Visual D/C++ projects - unless I'm wrong,
all the current options there seem to add -c to the command line.

>> * Automatically include modules in the current project as
>> candidates for completion - I seem to have to add my project
>> folders to Visual D Settings > DMD Directories > Import paths
>
> You should not have to add that to a global option. If your
> source files are not in the same folder as the project file,
> you might have to add the source folder to the project import
> paths.

OK, I somehow overlooked that option.

>> * Ctrl-click for "Go to definition".
>
> I'll have to investigate how a language service is supposed to
> support that.

Again, the C# and C++ editors have it, so it should be doable. If
the ctrl key is pressed it underlines the text under the cursor,
making it clickable like a hyperlink, allowing you to navigate to
the definition.

>> * When user declares variables, suggest possible names based
>> on type - eg, a variable of type "FontFaceReference" pops up a
>> list including "fontFaceReference", "fontFace" and "reference".
>
> Interesting gimmick.

Yes - like most of the things I've listed, it's not essential,
rather something to bring Visual D up to par with the C# editor
experience.

> Do you still have trouble with the beta with respect to crashes
> (probably due to static foreach)?

No crashing here, and static foreach works fine for me - perhaps
that was another user?