Could Visual D remember expansion of debug watch variables?

Michelle Long HappyDance321 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:35:23 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 October 2018 at 06:28:51 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 24/10/2018 20:47, Michelle Long wrote:
>> Sometimes I have a deep nesting of a variable that I have to
>> expand many times to find some member to check the variable.
>>
>> Each time I debug I have to spend about 30 seconds digging in
>> to the variable in the watch window.
>>
>> Could Visual D remember the previous run's expansion of
>> variables and attempt to auto expand them when the next debug
>> occurs? It would need to scroll to whatever variable was being
>> viewed last too, and not just percent window in case new
>> variables were added.
>>
>> The idea is to sort of make it so that the watch window sorta
>> of changes as little as possible between runs so no time has
>> to be wasted each time. It's not so bad most of the time but
>> in some cases it really adds to the time to debug.
>>

> This is not under control of Visual D, but it is the Visual
> Studio Debugger Environment that keeps track of the expansion
> state of locals and watch expressions. AFAICT it doesn't change
> it if it can reconstruct it while stepping or running to the
> next breakpoint, but collapses them if an expression cannot be
> evaluated in between.

Imagine that VS did not keep thee view when stepping, it would be
a royal pain in the ass! right? Now simply apply that logic to
re-running the program! it is still a royal pain in the ass, but
it's just less of a pain since one generally does not re-run as
much as they step... but it is still the same problem. In some
cases, specially with D, re-running is required a lot more than
other programmers and so it is more of a problem.

If VS does not expose any way to deal with this, maybe some hacks
can be used.

In fact, maybe Visual D can create it's own debugging
experience(although, then why not just create a new IDE? ;))

Basically create a new window(maybe a VS dockable window) that
allows for displaying debug stuff better? I really have a need to
display matrices in a matrix format rather than having to show
each row one line at a time one column at a time(element wise)...
makes it very hard to visualize information and therefore makes
the process of debugging certain things really slow ;/

D really needs a modern IDE with futuristic advanced debugging
abilities... far too primitive for my tastes.