VisualD latest version (v0.49.1) regression under VS2015

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Thu Apr 25 19:56:38 UTC 2019

On 25/04/2019 15:36, ShadoLight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated my VisualD to latest version v0.49.1 under VS Pro 2015. During
> the update I left the default options as is, which includes the
> update/installation of mago, MSBuild support, etc.
>
> Installation completed successfully but afterwards VS would launch, but
> with some errors (referring to packages updating, etc - not specifically
> for VisualD so I was not sure if this was related to VisualD). Once it
> started I could launch the wizard to create projects in both C++ and D,
> but then for both it fails with the same error. For C++ it is:
>
> "Unable to read the project file "abc.vcxproj". C:\Program
> Files(x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\Win32\ImportBefore\Default\d.props(10,9):
> the expression "System.String[].GetValue(1)" cannot be evaluated. Index
> was outside the bounds of the array."
>
> Note that this path "C:\Program Files(x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\.."
> does not exist on my machine.
>
> I tried to uninstall VisualD, but this actually made the problem worse,
> as afterwards VS2015 could not shut down as a modal error dialog kept
> popping up.
>
> Afterwards I uninstalled all add_ons that had their own uninstallers,
> but this had no effect. I eventually had to uninstall & re-install
> VS2015 itself to get VS2015 to behave (using
> https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases as it was
> impossible to get to the uninstall menu).
>
> I have now retried with my newly installed fresh VS2015 Pro  - before
> the installation of VisualD Visual C++ project creation/building worked
> fine, but after installation of Visual,the same problems are back.
>
> Anyone else experienced this?
>
> Rainer, any advice? I am running Win7 x64 but my VS2015 is x32 bit.

Sorry to hear that Visual D has caused so many troubles.

The error message happens because I didn't expect VS2015 not to know
about variable MSBuildVersion. You can replace the file with the error
with this version:
https://github.com/rainers/visuald/blob/bd48b5d210a3c742fe76adbd3c69f03363c47779/msbuild/ImportBefore/Default/d.props

I can also reproduce the problems with VS2015 after installation. It can
be corrected by repairing or modifying (much faster) the VS2015
installation afterwards, even with Visual D 0.49.1 still installed.
Strangely, this happens with older Visual D versions, too. I haven't
experienced that before, I'm investigating...