Speed up compilation in Visual D

Alex AJ at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 11:47:53 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 28 April 2019 at 08:25:18 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 26/04/2019 09:52, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>> As if when generating the command line for single file
>>> compilation you forgot to append the additional options
>>> string to it.
>> Yes, looks like a bug in Visual D: it adds the additional
>> command line options to the link, but not to the single file
>> compiler invocations.
>>

> fixed in https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v0.49.2

Man, it's really slow compiling!

It took over 3 minutes to compile the same project that compiles
in 10 seconds with combined compile.

Even after compilation of all the object files it takes 10
seconds just to recompile 1 file.

There is absolutely no speed up.

Also, I always get

x64\Debug DMD\S.exe not up to date: d:\repos\s\s\x64\debug
dmd\s.exe older than d:\repos\s\s\$(outdir)\g\d\set.obj

and so it has to build this one obj file every time.
I'm not sure what is going on here set.d is not being changed as
far as I know.

In any case, unless there is a huge bug in single file
compilation I don't see it being at all faster than combined
compile.