toString

Michelle Long HappyDance321 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:16:26 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 January 2019 at 11:44:11 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 01/01/2019 17:57, Michelle Long wrote:
>> On Monday, 31 December 2018 at 15:39:05 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I switched to visual studio debugger added a watch then
>> ran it.
>>
>> When I initially run the program I get:
>>
>> sz.toDebug()    D0022: Error: Function call may have side
>> effects
>>
>> and when I refresh I get
>>
>> sz.toDebug()    D0017: Error: Calling functions not implemented
>
> This error is shown only by the mago debug engine, not the
> extension to VS. (You might have changed the wrong
> configuration, happens to me quite often.)

So there are two debug settings I see in the project propertiers:

1. Under Configuration Properties/Debugging/Debugger which I
selected Visual Studio.

2. Under Configuration Properties/Compiler/Debug/Debug Info which
I had set to none for some reason and I changed to "selected
debugger" which I take to be what is set in 1.

in which the results are still the same.

So either there is a different setting or it is still using the
mago debugger regardless of the setting.

> Yes, we could single out some class/struct member function that
> can be called by the debugger automatically if it exists. It
> might have bad side effects, though, especially if called on
> uninitialized pointers.

Simply not passing a null should work for 99% of cases. Surely
one can catch any  errors and ignore them and such. I have no
problem with potential side effects as long as I am in control of
creating them. After all, if I unintentionally create a side
effect then I can fix it and then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm
more interested in creating an optimized debug experience that is
tailored to my work flow than saving me from dropping an egg. (I
understand in some cases it could cause loss of data, but as long
as I'm in control of that I have no problem with it, it should be
extremely unlikely so not worth the worry)