Visual D 0.50.0-beta1 released

Bert Bert at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 20:37:52 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 July 2019 at 10:06:55 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 11/07/2019 01:46, Bert wrote:
>> The first and last are expandable, seems the middle is not
>> being resolved properly:
>>
>> -        arr    {length=3 ptr=0x0000028d2cbb60c0}
>> inter[]
>> +        [0]    0x0000028d2cbb3010 {}    inter {main.main.s1}
>>         [1]    0x0000028d2cbb3070 {}    inter
>> +        [2]    0x0000028d2cbb30d0 {}    inter {main.main.s3}
>>

>> the 2nd entry is just main.main.s2
>>

>> Maybe you could just generate a large array of
>> interfaces(might try nestings, empty, derived classes, etc).
>
> It's a lot easier to reduce a failing test than to guess what
> might go wrong, so a test case would be appreciated.
>
> I suspect s2 has a slightly more complicated inheritance tree.
> The debugger simulates what happens in _d_toObject
> (https://github.com/dlang/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/cast_.d#L25). Does explicit cast(Object) work on that instance?

No, they are all the same... well, they might not be identical
because they are different classes but they were copied and
pasted. They do have some different values for fields but all the
fields are the same and not complicated at all. They all inherit
from the same base class and just fill in some of the values with
the base class doing the heavy lifting.

they are all in the same array so no casting, but this seems
related to the interface not expanding issue that has previously
been a problem.

It's really hard to produce a consistent test case that causes
these problems:

1. I can't upload all my code simply to give a simple case, there
might be too many dependencies and such.

2. It's not easy to create a simple test case because it may
actually work. These bugs in Visual D tend to have some "random"
component to them. Change to much and things start working or
have some specific thing in a project and things don't work but
the relation is not obvious or easy to find.

Many times these "bugs" change even within the same program. Add
a new line and then the behavior changes.

3. Even if I can produce a test case it may work fine on your end
or fine most of the time.

There seem to be a deep bug in Visual D related to these things
but it could just be a lot of minor stuff that has bit rotted.
Ultimately you are going to be the one in the best position too
deal with them.

I assume you don't use D often enough in complex projects to end
up with these types of issues or your setup doesn't exhibit them
as much or it is something specific on my end[Although, these
errors are too general to be specific to things on my machine].

I imagine what happens is that over time the D compiler and that
subtly breaks Visual D in various ways and only after some long
period does someone notice it.

Maybe the best thing to solve most of these issues would be for
you to maintain a machine, possibly a virtual machine, that has
just visual D/studio on it(use it to install D with the new
install features) and download some of the largest maintained D
projects that you would be most familiar with. Then when someone
reports something you can use it as a test bed to see if they
exhibit similar issues.  You might already do something like
this. What I have noticed though is that Visual D and dmd itself
seem to work great when the project is small but once one reaches
some critical mass things start going awry and generally these
are hard to track bugs(nothing obvious, usually the error
messages are not informative, etc).

I will try to start keeping a Visual D project for this too.
Again, what I have noticed though is that it's very hard to get
these bugs until the project becomes complicated[when I try to
reduce things enough to remove what seems unrelated to the bug
then the bug disappears, even things that are unrelated
programmatically or are used trivially].

		[0]	0x00000281eaa32048 {}	inter
+		[1]	0x00000281eaa32148 {}	inter {main.main.s1}
		[2]	0x00000281eaa32048 {}	inter
+		[3]	0x00000281eaa32148 {}	inter {main.main.s1}
		[4]	0x00000281eaa32048 {}	inter
+		[5]	0x00000281eaa32148 {}	inter {main.main.s1}

It seems that Visual D does not realize the odd elements is a
resolvable interface.

All these types are nested:

class c
{
     class s1 : inter;
     class s2 : inter;
}

I've tried creating a similar case but it doesn't have the
problem. In the original code I use meta programming to generate
the structure, but the much simplified "equivalent" doesn't have
the problem. So I don't know how to fix it besides given you all
my code, which I don't want to do and it technically may not help.

All I can say is that that I have an array of interfaces and some
of the elements are not expandable. It shouldn't matter what
those objects are, they all come from the same interface and
Visual D shouldn't have a problem resolving any of them... even
if they were drastically different.

This suggests a bug in the Visual D code that resolves the type
for the object from the interface.

Given that previously Visual D would not resolve any interfaces
this suggests maybe the new code you added recently is buggy/not
general enough. Although it is working in the simple case.

--------------------------
Ok, after much work reducing to a test case I went from it not
working to it working ;/

I can't explain why yet except that when I simplify the code past
a certain point it then works.

ok, well, the reason why it's failing makes no sense. I
essentially have some members in a class and when I remove the
members then Visual D enables expansion of the interface.

This is the code, when I delete it, changes everything:

inter foo;
inter Foo() { return foo; }

Yes, that is right, when I remove that code and run the program
then I can expand the element.

This is exactly what I mean! It makes absolutely no sense. But
somehow it screws Visual D up.

Once I get the code completely reduced I will post it for your
amusement... and I'll probably have to post a video proving it is
doing what I say it is because it will probably work for you.

These types of bugs are the once that the D ecosystem seems to be
riddled with. It's just a standard getter that is used all over
the place yet it breaks things.