Visual D 0.50.0-beta1 released

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sat Jun 1 06:39:08 UTC 2019

On 01/06/2019 00:29, Amex wrote:
> On Friday, 31 May 2019 at 16:30:02 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for the adventurous: I have just released a preliminary version of
>> Visual D with some new major changes:
>>
>> - there is now another installer available that includes DMD and LDC,
>> so no additional setup steps necessary to get you going
>>
>> - now checks for updates for Visual D, DMD and LDC and assists with
>> downloading and installing
>>
>> - experimental: highlight references to the same symbol as the one at
>> the caret (to be enabled in the editor options)
>>
>> - mago debugger extension: better dynamic type handling of classes and
>> interfaces, show exception message
>>
>> Grab it here: https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v0.50.0-beta1
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rainer
>
> Awesome! It's like Christmas all over again! Like the update feature!

Thanks.

> One problem still: Dragging a variable from the debug to the memory
> still drags all the junk for v2019.

Still on the todo list...

> Also,
>
> What about installing gdc like ldc and such?

I don't think there is a reasonable GDC version available for Windows
yet. Maybe when the MinGW distributions are updated to include the GCC
9.1 suites (or better 10 when GDC will catch up with recent dmd/ldc
version).

> Also, can we get a monthly check and having the previous install renamed
> if there is a collision so that we have the backup of the compiler in
> case anything breaks.

Is a weekly check too often?

The downloaded installations are not removed, but are stored in a folder
named as the version.

> I haven't put it through the test but interfaces is working now! That is
> a big deal for me! I've enabled all the experimental features and things
> are a bit different(colorized and such).
>

>> - mago debugger extension: better dynamic type handling of classes and
>> interfaces, show exception message
>
> One thing I've always been confused on is the mago debugger vs visual
> studio(and the mixed mode).
>
> Is there any place that shows the difference? I'm not sure which to use.
> I want to use the best obviously. There are also several places that
> have a debugger selector and I have no idea what they are all about.

The mago debug engine was recommended before the Visual Studio debugger
allowed to be extended by plugins. I now prefer the Visual Studio engine
equipped with magos expression evaluation. The "mixed mode" allows
debugging C#, too, but might have some other restrictions.

See https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/Debugging.html for details
and some history.