Visual D expanding invalid arrays crashes visual studio

Amex Amex at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 05:34:28 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 12 June 2019 at 07:31:15 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 10/06/2019 10:54, Amex wrote:
>> Usually one would get some warning box but now it just
>> crashes. May be a new bug for VS2019.
>>
>> These arrays may be "valid" in some sense but have very large
>> lengths.
>
> I've hit that, too. Probably needs a limit on how many elements
> get expanded. C++ does that, too, at 1_000_000.

I think it should be much smaller, one really doesn't want to see
more than 100 elements or so.. hell, even 50 might be too
much(maybe have it configurable).

but I have an alternative:

How about creating some visualizers?

If the type is a struct or class just "pretty print" the members?
(probably just take the first level to avoid too much work)

If it is a array also have it pretty print... sorta like the
memory window if the type is a primitive... if it is a struct or
class array can then print using one but print a few of the
elements.

I routinely use the memory window to investigate arrays and even
sometimes structs and classes...

Would be much faster if I could just see their contents with a
click on the magnifier like I can with strings.