Visual D 0.51.0-beta1: DMD based semantic engine

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Nov 17 18:11:29 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have just released a new beta version of Visual D, see

https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v0.51.0-beta1

The most important new feature: a semantic engine based on the DMD
frontend. You can enable it with the respective option on the global
TextEditor->D->"Intellisense" options page.

I think it already works quite well for browsing source code, but I
haven't yet worked too much on code completion.

Some known issues:

- dmdserver.exe eats a lot of memory, you might want to kill the process
from time to time.

- support for templates is incomplete, semantic info is taken from the
first instantiation

- quirks regarding source code locations that need to be tweaked in dmd

It's probably too early reporting bugs as I see a lot of quirks myself,
but I thought it's already useful as a preview. There are also a number
of other issues implemented/fixed that I wanted to make public, see the
changes as listed at the link above.

Happy coding,
Rainer