No extensions in Atom/VS Code provides linting

Hossain Adnan relay.public.adnan at outlook.com
Wed Sep 25 00:13:19 UTC 2019

I'm making this thread to share my frustration in setting up
Dlang development tools using VS Code in Ubuntu 19.04.

I have a small ongoing project using GTK and Rust but Rust's BC
had been giving me trouble in borrowing mutable references across
the different widgets (for example button click handlers). So I
had created a branch and wanted to start rewriting it in D/GtkD
before the project gets too complex. What I didn't know:

1. The builtin package for dub is broken:
`#apt install dub`, it installs just fine but as soon as I tried
initiating a project dub throws a runtime error and throws some
demangled symbol name. It looks like a problem in Debian unstable
and the known issue hasn't been fixed in a while.

This prompted me to install dlang tools from the "install.sh"
script. It does a fine job except that it could automate setting
up PATH by itself, but no worries it's not a big issue.

2. VS Code extensions don't work:
Once I installed dmd and dub from the script file I opened up VS
Code, there are (as far as I understand) two mainstream
extensions for Dlang: Dlang using DLS and Code-D. Great.

When I installed DLS plugin, it said something about "installing
DLS"... and that's about it. Formatting works but there's no
linting whatsoever.

Code-D -- same outcome, no linting.

So I opened up issues on both the repos. Why does it have to be
so difficult to set up and get started with coding? Not to start
a flame-war or something but Rust sets a gold-standard of how
tooling should be -- they should just work! All I had to do with
Rust, is install the RLS plugin and that's it -- Linting,
formatting, highlights -- all just work.