VisualD - Performance, Memory Usage, & Update Crash

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sat Feb 15 08:19:40 UTC 2020

On 12/02/2020 21:52, Marcel wrote:

>>> I haven't tried to run Visual D in Windows 7 in a while, maybe the
>>> update mechanism has a problem there. What version of VS are you using?
>>>

>> I got hold of a Windows 7 VM and could reproduce the crash: it happens
>> due to unexpected problems with https-requests. The dmd download is
>> still using http and works for me.
>>
>> I can avoid the crashes (showing an error in the status bar instead),
>> but I haven't found a solution yet for WinHttp not allowing the secure
>> connection.
>
> Hello!
> Yesterday I reinstalled VisualD and performance greatly improved, I
> suspect I had enabled both the UFCS and mixin sematic analysis options.
> I'm also glad you found the reason for the crash in Windows 7.

Yeah, that UFCS part can be really slow. That should not be an isssue
with the DMD based engine.

> By the way, can I contribute to VisualD in some way?

The repository for the main component is here:
https://github.com/dlang/visuald, but there are other components, too.
See https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/BuildFromSource.html

If you don't want to get your hands dirty on the code itself, reporting
bugs at issues.dlang.org/ for component visuald or improving the
documentation (see "Improve this page" links) is also welcome.