Dexed, revived!

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Tue Feb 25 14:48:28 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 25 February 2020 at 03:28:07 UTC, Akira1364 wrote:
> On Friday, 15 November 2019 at 09:02:55 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I clearly didn't *intentionally* leave out the history. It
> simply didn't exist in the tarball someone on Reddit found,
> that I restored the repo from. Looking at some other comments
> from more recently here though it seems they did later on find
> one with the history intact (and more up to date sources), so
> I'll see if I can merge that all in.

Don't bother. You will not be able to develop it anyway. While
you seemed to mostly care about the dependencies I've already
pushed new features and fixes like

- the global compiler ;
- during debug, inspect variable from mouse motion on the editor ;
- fixed constant load even on idle (was 3-4% on my 5-6 years old
hardware)
- support for GNU-style messages ;
- removed some confusing fields in the compiler path editor ;

Most of these stuff can only be programmed by someone who
practices D a bit at least.

You (non-nominative) have to follow the language devel constantly
and adapt the IDE accordingly (support for GNU messages is there
because I check the DMD PRs and the issues daily). In the same
order of ideas I'm pretty sure that you don't even know that at
some point SemVer version 2 will have to be supported. There's
also some activity related to the tools and DMD as a library...
You see you have to follow what's happening.

Also since there are (almost) not tests you risk to break things
without even realizing. You need to have advanced projects,
advanced scripts (for example I have a few that link
automagically dbeaengine or cairo, they allow me to verify that
the runnables and the module registry work).

But if you want to give a hand there are a few areas of the
software that don't really require to know D well. The terminal
for example... I'm sure that a Lazarus developer would be useful
since it's mostly about a GTK2 widget. I still don't manage to
put those damn scrollbars... Another thing is the support for
GTK3. Dexed just crashes at startup when use the GTK3 widget set.
The profile viewer is also something that can be enhanced, though
if I really need to profile I would rather use callgrind +
KCacheGrind.