Replacement for Eclipse-DDT?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 02:29:51 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 at 19:34:32 UTC, E.S. Quinn wrote:

> Everything i've googled seems to indicate you can't really do
> multiple git repositories in a VSCode project, and I can't find
> anything about making projects depend on each other.

I don't know much about its git support in the UI, as I never use
those features. I do everything from the command line in the
built-in terminal, and with that you can have as many git
projects as you'd like. The sidebar still highlights changed
folders and files so I don't forget.

VS Code doesn't have any concept of projects. It has a workspace
that can contain multiple folders and each can be configured to
build differently. Personally, I don't use its build support. I
just use dub for D and make for C via the built-in terminal. It
does have support for custom build commands, though. So you can
set up a script to build everything you need with ctrl-b.

VS Code is an editor with some stock, IDE-like features, than can
be made more IDE-like with extensions. But it gives you a lot of
flexibility in how to set up and manage your projects. I don't
think you're going to find anything for D right now that ticks
all your boxes in allowing everything to be managed from an IDE
UI out of the box. VS Code is the closest you'll get with a
little up front configuration work AFAIK.