Atom, ide-dlang and.. a better doc for beginners ?

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:04:42 UTC 2020

https://forum.dlang.org/post/cvqddjjlmkjvbtxndgjb@forum.dlang.org

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 13:48:03 UTC, ffred wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm new to D and looking to set a development environment for
> it that suits my taste.
> I already used VScode when learning Go, but I'm not a big fan
> of it. so for D I'm trying to use Atom and with ide-dlang it
> could be fine for me.
> I don't mean bad, it's good work and I have to say thank you
> for that, but the documentation available is not really
> complete or beginner friendly.
>
> it's working, I can build my first example, but I don't
> understand how to go further. actually I can build, but how to
> build & run or at least be able to run after having build.
> should I create new settings in the "build" package or install
> another package in witch I could set commands to run in a
> terminal (like I did in VScode).
>
> the ide-dlang package's webpage just mentions at the bottom of
> the page that atom-ide-ui and build packages should also be
> installed, but doesn't say what need or could be done with them
> and there's not much info on how to use the whole system.
>
> I searched online, but can't find any page about Dlang with
> Atom & ide-dlang..
>
> is there someone else here using it who can at least tell me
> how he/she is using it and if I should use some more packages..?
> thanks.
> ffred

Building D projects / scripts is easier than you think. I
personally use VSCode and its build-in terminal. Create a dub
project with "dub init" and then type "dub build" in your VSCode
terminal. Easy.
If you want to build D project using VSCode menu, install "D
Programming Language (code-d)" and "D Language utility extension
pack" plugins. Then via "Terminal" -> "Run build task" you will
get a relevant drop down menu with building you project.

Additionally, here is a post I wrote on how to build D projects
and use external libs:
https://tastyminerals.github.io/tasty-blog/dlang/2020/03/01/how-to-use-external-libraries-in-d-project.html