Visual D: Please improve Visual Studio support

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 14:09:58 UTC 2020

On 17/03/2020 08:17, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> On 10/03/2020 09:32, Joe Wong wrote:
>> Any progress on it? A navigation bar is quite important especially when
>> reading long source files with thousands of lines.
>
> I've made some experiments with the navigation bar and it seems
> feasible. It won't be in the coming release, though, and the necessary
> changes in the semantic engine will probably only be made to the dmd
> based engine.

I now have a basic implementation, but I wonder what should go into the
drop downs. For now, it just allows selecting 3 nested scoping AST
nodes, irrespective of whether its aggregates, templates or functions.

C++/C## has 3 drop downs: projects, types and functions/methods. I think
the first one is wasting a lot for rather seldom use cases, even more so
in D where there is no preprocessor that can cause the module to be
interpreted differently (still versions might change between projects).

With D making nested functions and data structures more common, the
ordering is not so clear as with C# and C++.

What do you think should go into the 3 (or more?) drop down lists?