Visual D error messages not useful

FunkyD MrFunky at YourDaddy.com
Tue May 12 16:33:38 UTC 2020

Win32\Debug DMD\TestApp.exe not up to date: command line changed
------ Build started: Project: TestApp, Configuration: Debug DMD
Win32 ------
Building Win32\Debug DMD\TestApp.exe...
         1 file(s) copied.
Building Win32\Debug DMD\TestApp.exe failed!
Details saved as
"file://C:\TestApp\TestApp\Win32\Debug%20DMD\TestApp.buildlog.html"
Build time: 9 s
Solution build stopped.
Build has been canceled.

I have no idea why my app won't compile. Same stuff in x64 mode.
It used to compile but it's been a while since I've tried and
have updated dmd and visual d several times since. Nothing in the
log

In the html file:

if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto reportError
:reportError
echo Building Win32\Debug DMD\TestApp.exe failed!

Which is a useless error message. Can we not get an error message
that actually helps and also maybe the line number which of the
html file that has the error?

Suggestions:

1. Replace the error goto's with more useful info such as passing
the line of the batch file(or some unique id to find it) and also
the last line that erred(the line above the if statement usually).

2. Possibly first check paths that are used by the compilation
process and all the exe's used to make sure they exist. Do this
first before compiling. I'm thinking maybe something changed with
the windows libraries but I have no idea because the buildlog is
large and has many of those error goto's that any one could have
been the problem.

I'm pretty sure you generate the build batch file so you could
easily automate adding better checking like this(unique id or
line number) along with printing out the command line that failed
or whatever fails. Also it should be easy to add a few `if
exists` type of checks for the various paths used in
building(both windows stuff and dmd/visual d). Normally these
checks should pass fine but in some cases they won't and it would
be helpful to have that info.

Maybe even have a verbose mode that provides more info?