Another performance problem

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Dec 8 06:03:08 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Self-referential_sequence#Faster_Low-level_Version

Looking at the IR generated on Linux, I can't see any obvious big
performance issues (such as e.g. GC allocations where there shouldn't
be any), and indeed the code runs in < 1 s on my machine (can't test
on Windows right now).

I did, however, find a rather severe bug: We emit the "__gshared
static" globals in the MemoryPool struct as thread-local, which is a)
a big correctness problem, and b) might cause substantial slowdown due
to the additional overhead incurred when accessing them.

David