Performance dmd vs ldc2

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:31:14 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 19:08:59 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
> Why not LLVM ? LLVM is open and well-optimized.
> Writing own backend is a suicide and wasting of energy.

1) Because the current backend compiles code very fast, reducing
development turnaround time (particularly useful for testing
changes to druntime/phobos). It also has good native windows
support.

2) Because the compiler itself is quick to compile. This allows a
very quick response time even for quite wide-reaching changes. It
also makes the auto-tester more useful.

3) Because Walter likes working with it. It's his backend and dmd
is overall his project.

4) Because it's already happened/happening. We have dmd with the
llvm backend. It's called ldc.