Problem in installing/using LDC

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sat Jun 1 13:42:32 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> ldmd2 01-namaste.d
> /usr/bin/ld: fatal error: namaste: open: Is a directory
> Error: /usr/bin/gcc failed with status: 1

You probably have a directory called "namaste" in the same path where
your source file is in. The linker error message tells you that it
can't write an executable of the same name. The error message could be
better, but unfortunately it is generated by the system linker, not
LDC.

> Along with the binary tarball, please include installation
> instructions so newbies like me can install and use it. Thank you.

The point of the binary packages is that they don't require any
installation, just like the DMD ones. It's the first thing mentioned
in the "Package downloads" paragraph of the release announcement, but
it probably should be mentioned more prominently on a/the download
page for the next release.

 — David