New blurb for LLVM 3.3 release

Kai Nacke kai at redstar.de
Sat May 25 09:13:44 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 08:53:37 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Two thoughts:
>
>  - "DMD" probably won't mean much to people not familiar with
> D, even
> if they could probably guess that it is a D compiler from the
> context.
>
>  - We should on decide what we officially declare as our home
> page.
> I've been using http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC lately, as we could
> pretty
> that up into an actually inviting landing page. Currently, it
> admittedly isn't too welcoming yet, though…

Good points. What about this:

LDC - the LLVM-based D compiler
-------------------------------

`D <http://dlang.org>`_ is a language with C-like syntax and
static typing. It
pragmatically combines efficiency, control, and modeling power,
with safety and
programmer productivity. D supports powerful concepts like
Compile-Time Function
Execution (CTFE) and Template Meta-Programming, provides an
innovative approach
to concurrency and offers many classical paradigmas.

`LDC <http://wiki.dlang.org/LDC>`_ uses the frontend from the
reference compiler
combined with LLVM as backend to produce efficient native code.
LDC targets
x86/x86_64 systems like Linux, OS X and Windows and also
Linux/PPC64. Ports to
other architectures like ARM are underway.

> Anyway, thanks for doing this!

Some advertising is needed - for D and LDC. :-)